RETURN TO SAAC HOMEPAGE
The BIG EAST Conference Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) serves as the voice of student athletes hailing from sixteen member institutions and competing in 24 sports. In doing so, the committee's mission is to improve communication with all student-athletes at member institutions as well as between institutions, take an active role understanding and providing feedback regarding NCAA and Conference legislation, and promote student athlete well-being, academic achievement, personal development and community service.
The BIG EAST Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will be guided by the following principles: ethics, integrity, sportsmanship and a respect for diversity.
Goals and Objectives
A. To take an active role in the governance structure and legislative process of the NCAA
- To review and provide comment on NCAA proposed legislation
- To discuss legislation's impact on student-athletes with a focus on well-being
- To communicate current and proposed legislative items to student-athletes on each campus and garner feedback
B. To serve as a representative body for the interests and concerns of student-athletes
- To discuss ways in which the student-athlete experience may be improved and how to achieve proper balance between athletic, academic and life experiences
- Members should serve as liaisons between the BIG EAST Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and the SAAC at each institution
- To discuss ways to encourage and help member institutions implement the six established principles regarding student-athlete well-being: the overall educational experience; cultural diversity and gender equity; health and safety; student-athlete's relationships with coaches and administrators; fairness, openness and honesty; and student-athlete involvement
C. To serve as leaders in developing institutional student-athlete advisory committees as well as enhancing the role and efficacy of the BIG EAST SAAC
- To disseminate the BIG EAST SAAC's opinions and/or suggestions to appropriate groups (e.g. Faculty Athletic Representatives, Athletic Directors, Senior Women's Administrators, Compliance Coordinators, Student-Athletes, and NCAA DI National SAAC)
- To play a leadership role in promoting community service at the campus level
- To establish a conference-wide community service initiative
- To garner support of necessary groups such as administrators, coaches, staff and student-athletes regarding issues important to student-athletes and their well-being.