No. 1 Connecticut vs. No. 8 Georgetown
Game 9 – Quarterfinals, March 6, 2011
XL Center – Hartford, Conn.
- Stefanie Dolson scored a career-high 24 points; she also had eight rebounds.
- Dolson has registered double-figure points 13 times this season.
- Maya Moore was held to just two points in the first half, it was her lowest first half total since the April 1, 2008 against Rutgers in the NCAA Championship (when she had two points as well); Moore finished that game against Rutgers with seven total points, today she totaled six.
- Maya Moore was held to a season-low six points as she shot 2-of-12 from the floor in today’s game. Her previous low in a BIG EAST Championship contest was seven, which she tallied against Pittsburgh on March 10, 2008.
- Moore finished with 15 rebounds, one shy of her season high of 16.
- Georgetown scored 43 points, one shy of its season-low set earlier this year against UConn on Feb. 26
- UConn advances to play Rutgers in the semifinals of the BIG EAST Championship for the first time since the 2007 title game.
- UConn-Rutgers in the BIG EAST Championship (UConn leads 5-1)
- 2007 Rutgers 55, UConn 47 title game
- 2005 UConn 67, Rutgers 51 title game
- 2001 UConn 94, Rutgers 66 semifinal
- 2000 UConn 79, Rutgers 59 title game
- 1998 UConn 67, Rutgers 58 title game
- 1996 UConn 94, Rutgers 63 quaterfinals
- There were two ties in the first three minutes of the contest
- With the scored knotted at seven at the 17:20 mark in the opening frame, UConn put together a 14-3 run in a span of 7:22 to take an 11-point lead at 21-10.
- UConn held Georgetown without a field goal for a span of 7:53 in the first half as UConn extended its advantage to as much as 20 points in the frame.
- At the half, the Huskies held a 37-17 advantage led by 12 points from freshman Stefanie Dolson.
- Georgetown opened the second half with an 11-4 run, including an 8-0 surge before Dolson hit a free throw at the 14:07 mark.
- Dolson scored six of UConn’s first eight points of the second half.
- UConn turned over the ball 21 times in the game as the Hoyas registered 16 points off those miscues.
- Georgetown outscored the Huskies in the second half, 26-22.
- UConn improves to 40-6 all-time against Georgetown and has won 25 in-a-row as well as 38 of the last 40 contests against the Hoyas.
- Tiffany Hayes has posted double-figure points in 60 career games, including 21 this season as she finished the game with 10 points on 3-of-7 shooting.
- Kelly Faris matched a career-high with 12 rebounds for the third time in her career, while she finished with nine points and three blocked shots.
- UConn improves to 30-1 on the year to mark its sixth straight season with 30 or more wins.
- UConn has not lost in a BIG EAST Championship game since losing to Rutgers 55-47 in the tournament final in 2007.
- UConn has not lost in its opening game of the BIG EAST Championship since its 71-56 to Boston College in 1988.
- The attendance of 10,463 was the fourth-largest in tournament history.
- Six of the first 10 games of the tournament have been decided by six points or less.
- FANTASTIC FINISHES - With 1:00 left in regulation…
USF-Pitt Pitt led 59-58
Villanova-Providence tied 46-46
Syracuse-Georgetown GU led 57-56
Marquette-Pittsburgh MU led 63-61
WVU-St. John’s STJ led 55-51
- The Friday overtime game between PC-Villanova was the 18th in tournament history.
- Georgetown beat Syracuse 61-60 on Saturday. It was the team’s first win in tournament play since 2001.
8 Notre Dame
25 West Virginia
32 St. John’s