No. 1 Connecticut vs. No. 4 Rutgers
Game 13 – Semifinals, March 7, 2011
XL Center – Hartford, Conn.
- After Rutgers jumped out by three points 29 seconds into the contest, UConn put together a 9-0 run to take a six-point lead.
- After scoring just six points in the BIG EAST Championship quarterfinal match-up against Georgetown on Sunday, Maya Moore came out of the gates tallying seven points in the first four minutes of tonight’s contest. Moore finished with 22 points on the night after her 17-point first-half performance.
- UConn went into the break with a 39-10 advantage, its largest lead of the first frame.
- The Huskies extended their lead to as much as 29 in the second half at the 6:44 mark when Michala Johnson hit a free throw to make the score 62-33.
- UConn had three players register double-figures in the game as Maya Moore scored 22, Kelly Faris tallied 19 and Stefanie Dolson netted 12.
- Stefanie Dolson recorded her 14th game this season in double-figures.
- Kelly Faris’ 19 points marked her eighth game this season in double-figures.
- Kelly Faris’ 19 points marked a career-high in postseason play for the sophomore.
- Maya Moore has registered double-figure points in 143 of 148 career games.
- Tonight’s 22-point effort marked Maya Moore’s 31st game this season in double-figures.
- Maya Moore has now recorded 20 or more points in 72 career games.
- UConn improves to 48-4 in BIG EAST Championship play as a No. 1 seed.
- UConn leads the series with Rutgers 6-1 in BIG EAST Championship games after tonight’s victory. Tonight was the second semifinal meeting between the programs. UConn has won both.
- UConn has outscored its opponents 60-36 in the paint during BIG EAST Championship play this season.
- UConn held Rutgers to just six points in the paint in the second half of play.
- It is the ninth time in tournament history that the top four seeds have advanced to the semifinals; the last time it occurred was in 2009
- Six of the first 13 games of the tournament have been decided by six points or less.
- FANTASTIC FINISHES - With 1:00 left in regulation…
USF-Pitt Pitt led 59-58
Villanova-Providence tied 46-46
Syracuse-Georgetown GU led 57-56
Marquette-Pittsburgh MU led 63-61
WVU-St. John’s STJ led 55-51
- The Friday overtime game between PC-Villanova was the 18th in tournament history.
- Georgetown beat Syracuse 61-60 on Saturday. It was the team’s first win in tournament play since 2001.