Back to New Member Main Page
1. Big Market, Great School: SMU is the only Division I program in Dallas – the nation’s ninth-largest city. According to U.S. News & World Report, SMU is the best overall undergraduate college in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and the third best in Texas. Southern Methodist University is one of only 77 institutions in the United States or Canada with an endowment over $1 billion. The endowment of $1,367,744,000 is ranked 51st.
2. SMU will House the George W. Bush Presidential Center: In 2008, it was announced that SMU would establish the George W. Bush Presidential Center on campus. President Bush’s wife Laura attended SMU and the Bush family currently live nearby. The complex will include a museum, library, archive and private Policy Institute. SMU becomes the third university in Texas to house a presidential library – Texas A&M University houses the George Bush Presidential Library & Museum and the University of Texas houses the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum.
3. Proud Football Legacy: SMU is home to some of the greatest players in college football history. Among those who have had their jerseys retired by SMU are Heisman Trophy-winner Doak Walker, NFL and Monday Night Football star Don Meredith and NFL Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Lamar Hunt, Forrest Gregg and Raymond Berry.
4. Mustangs on the Pitch: The SMU men’s soccer program has enjoyed great success over the last decade. The Mustangs have advanced to the NCAA round of 16 five of the last seven seasons including a Final Four appearance in 2005.
5. A Commitment to Basketball: SMU has committed more than $54 million to its basketball facilities, including a complete renovation of Moody Coliseum and a new 43,000 square-foot practice facility. The Crum Basketball Center opened in 2008 and annually hosts training camp for the NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks. The Mustangs are coached by former Notre Dame and North Carolina head coach Matt Doherty.