Postgame Notes - No. 6 USF 56, No. 14 Villanova 47
Records: USF (20-12); Villanova (13-19)
- USF advances to face No. 3-seeded Notre Dame in Wednesday’s BIG EAST Championship quarterfinal round. Notre Dame was a 60-49 winner Jan. 10 in the teams’ only meeting this season.
- USF has advanced to the BIG EAST Championship quarterfinals for the first time. The Bulls will face Notre Dame in the tournament for the first time as well.
- The Bulls have won their BIG EAST tournament opener in each of the last three seasons. USF improved to 3-3 all-time in the tournament.
- USF eliminated Villanova from the BIG EAST Championship for the second consecutive season.
- USF scored 22 points from the free throw line to set a team high in a BIG EAST tournament game.
- USF became the BIG EAST’s ninth 20-win team this season. Since the NCAA adopted automatic bids, 147 of 152 BIG EAST teams with at least 20 wins reached the NCAA tournament (96.7 percent).
- Villanova was held to its fewest points in a BIG EAST tournament game since a 46-41 loss to Georgetown in the first round of the 2003 Championship. The Wildcats’ scoring total was its second-lowest in 63 games in the BIG EAST Championship.