PROVIDENCE, R.I.- Strong performances at the Paul Short Run in Bethlehem, Pa., on Sept. 28 helped Georgetown’s Mark Dennin and Providence’s Sarah Mary Collins earn BIG EAST Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors for Week 4.
Dennin finished first of 332 runners at the Paul Short Run in Bethlehem, Pa. The graduate student was the first of five Hoyas to finish in the top 50 on the 8k course, leading to a third-place team finish. This is his second honor as Dennin was named BIG EAST Men’s Cross Country Athlete of the week for the week of Sept. 17, 2009. Georgetown is currently ranked No. 15 in the USTFCCCA poll.
Collins finished third of 360 runners on the 6k women’s course at the Paul Short Invitational with a time of 20:23. The freshman helped lead the Friars to a sixth-place overall finish out of 40 teams. Collins has been a top 3 finisher for the Friars in her last two races.
Notes From Around the League:
BIG EAST Competes at Paul Short Invitational
- The No. 22 Villanova men’s squad took first of 37 teams at the Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa., on Sept. 28.
- No. 12 Georgetown finished third at the same event on the 8k course, with graduate student Mark Dennin finishing first overall. RV Providence finished fifth to round out the top 5.
- For the women, No. 4 Georgetown, No. 7 Providence and No. 9 Villanova were among the top finishers at the Paul Short Run. The Hoyas placed third, the Friars landed in sixth, and the Wildcats finished seventh.
- The Wildcats and Hoyas combined for three of the top 10 individual spots in the 6k. Providence freshman Sarah Mary Collins finished third (20:23) and Friar junior Lauren Nagel finished seventh (20:33). Georgetown senior Madeline Chambers finished 10th (20:37).
Cincinnati Runs at All-Ohio Intercollegiate
- Sophomore Colin Cotton ran a career-best 24:40.02 on the men’s 8k course in Cedarville, Ohio to finish second.
- The women’s squad placed fifth as a team, with sophomore Emily Clay running the 5k course in 18:16.42 for a sixth-place individual finish.
Japhet Kipkoech Sets Freshman Record for Louisville
- Louisville freshman Japhet Kipkoech finished eighth at the Greater Louisville Classic on Sept. 29.
- His time of 24:02.32 on the 8k course makes him the fastest freshman in program history on an 8K course.
BIG EAST Cross Country Championships
- The 2012 BIG EAST Cross Country Championships are just under one month away. St. John’s will be hosting the event at Van Cordlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y., on Oct. 26.
- The women’s 6k race will begin at 11 a.m. ET, with the men’s 8k following at 11:50 a.m. ET.
- Visit the Cross Country Championship Central page for all information leading up to the races.