South Bend, Ind. - The top-seeded Cardinals bested the second seed Irish 4-0 to earn the program's second men's BIG EAST Tennis Championship title. Louisville earns the league's automatic berth into the 64-team NCAA Championship, marking its seventh NCAA invite.
UofL started the morning by winning the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and 3. Austen Childs and Viktor Maksimcuk defeated Niall Fitzgerald and Tyler Davis 8-5 at No. 2, before Robert Hall and Chidi Gabriel clinched the point with an 8-4 victory over Daniel Stahl and David Anderson at No. 3.
Andrew Carter put the Cardinals up 2-0 after defeating Anderson 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5 singles, followed by 18th-ranked Austen Childs topping 47th-ranked Casey Watt 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. With Louisville up 3-0, Hall clinched the title by topping Blas Moros 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 6 spot, giving the Cardinals the 4-0 sweep.
Hall, who went 3-0 in singles play at the BIG EAST Championship and clinched the doubles point and victory not only in the title match but in the semifinal win over DePaul as well, was named Most Outstanding Tournament Performer.
1. S. Childs/Calligari (UofL) vs. Watt/Havens (ND), DNF (8-7)
2. A. Childs/Maksimcuk (UofL) def. Fitzgerald/Davis (ND), 8-5
3. Hall/Gabriel (UofL) def. Stahl/Anderson (ND), 8-4
1. Austen Childs (UofL) def. Casey Watt (ND), 6-0, 6-2
2. Stephen Havens (ND) vs. Viktor Maksimcuk (UofL), DNF (4-6, 6-2)
3. Simon Childs (UofL) vs. Daniel Stahl (ND), DNF (6-4, 6-6)
4. Alejandro Calligari (UofL) vs. Sam Keeton (ND), DNF (6-3, 2-5)
5. Andrew Carter (UofL) def. David Anderson (ND), 6-3, 6-0
6. Robert Hall (UofL) def. Blas Moros (ND), 6-3, 6-3*
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3
Singles: 5, 1, 6
To see all of the results and recaps from the 2010 BIG EAST Tennis Championships, log on to Championship Central at: 2010 BIG EAST Tennis Championship Central.