No. 5 Marquette vs. No. 12 Pittsburgh
Game 5 – Second Round, March 5, 2011
XL Center – Hartford, Conn.
- Marquette led early 14-4 with 13:25 left in the first half.
- Pitt answered with a 13-0 run and held its first lead of the game 15-14, following a 3-pointer by senior Jania Sims with 8:26 left in the first half as part of the spurt.
- Marquette senior Tatiyiana McMorris left after being hit in the head on a foul with 14:27 left in the second half; she returned a few minutes later.
- MU senior Angel Robinson entered the game averaging 13.3 points and totaled six. She averages 34.8 minutes per game and played just 19 due to foul trouble.
- Marquette totaled 19 points off the bench, but just two in the first half.
- There were three ties and two lead changes.
- Four of the first six games of the tournament have been decided by four points or less.
With one minute left in regulation…
USF-Pitt Pitt led 59-58
Villanova-Providence tied 46-46
Syracuse-Georgetown GU led 57-56
Marquette-Pittsburgh MU led 63-61
- The Friday overtime game between PC-Villanova was the 18th in tournament history.
- Georgetown beat Syracuse 61-60 on Saturday. It was the team’s first win in tournament play since 2001.