U.S. Naval Academy
Back to New Member Main Page
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Colors: Blue & Gold
Notable Football Accomplishments
- Two Heisman Trophy winners – Roger Staubach (1963) and Joe Bellino (1960)
- 1926 National Champions
- Have been to bowl games in eight of the last nine seasons.
- Have participated in 17 bowl games overall, including the Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange
- 75 wins over the last nine years are tied for the 20th most in the country
- Navy has 22 players and two coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame
Bill the Goat
Navy has featured a live goat mascot at athletic events as far back as 1893. The Academy briefly had cats, a dog and a carrier pigeon as mascots but settled back on a goat in 1904. Since then, Bill the Goat has patrolled the Navy sidelines. Today, Bill XXXIII and XXXIV serve as the mascots.
One of the most well-known fight songs in the nation, “Anchors Aweigh” was written by Lt. Charles Zimmermann in 1906 and made its debut at the 1906 Army-Navy game. It gained exposure during the 1920s and 1930s on the radio and in feature films.
Joe Bellino, 1960 Heisman Trophy winner
Richard Byrd, Arctic and Antarctic explorer
Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States
John McCain, U.S. senator from Arizona
Ross Perot, U.S. Businessman and Presidential candidate
David Robinson, Olympic gold medalist and basketball Hall of Fame member
Alan Shepard, first U.S. astronaut in space
Roger Staubach, 1963 Heisman Trophy winner and Pro Football Hall of Fame member
James H. Webb, Jr., U.S. senator from Virginia
Montel Williams, actor and talk show host