Postgame Notes - No. 13 Pittsburgh 73, No. 12 St. John’s 59
Records: Pittsburgh (17-15); St. John’s (13-19)
- Pittsburgh advances to face No. 5 Georgetown in Wednesday’s second round. The Panthers were 72-60
- winners against the Hoyas Jan. 28.
- Pittsburgh improved to 2-2 in BIG EAST Championship play.
- The Panthers snapped a three-game slide in the BIG EAST Championship. It was the Panthers’ first win since
- the 2008 final against Georgetown.
- Pittsburgh improved to 7-6 all-time in the first round of the BIG EAST Championship.
- Guard Ashton Gibbs led Pittsburgh with 20 points against St. John’s Gibbs has hit for at least 20 points in his
- last two BIG EAST tournament games (27 against Connecticut last season). The last time a St. John’s player
- scored more than 25 points in the tournament was in 1992, when Malik Sealy scored 29 against Connecticut
- in the quarterfinals.
- The No. 13 seed improved to 4-1 all-time against the No. 12 seed in the BIG EAST Championship.
- Moe Harkless led St. John’s with 25 points. It was the most by a Red Storm player in a BIG EAST tournament
- game since Marcus Hatten had 25 against Notre Dame in the 2002 semifinals.
- St. John’s is 5-7 in BIG EAST Championship first-round games.
- The loss for St. John’s snapped a three-year stretch in which the Red Storm won their first BIG EAST
- tournament game.