The BIG EAST Conference officially welcomes Temple University to the league as a football member on July 1, 2012. The university will join as a full member on July 1, 2013. BIGEAST.org would like to welcome the Owls to the conference and introduce BIG EAST fans to the University
Temple University Quick Facts
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Colors: Cherry & White
Acting President: Richard M. Englert
Director of Athletics: Bill Bradshaw
Sponsored Sports (24)
Men: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Gymnastics Rowing, Soccer, Tennis, Track & Field (Indoor/Outdoor)
Women’s: Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Rowing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field (Indoor/Outdoor), Volleyball
Notable Athletic Accomplishments
• Temple began the 2011-12 season ranked sixth among Division I programs in all-time men’s basketball wins, trailing only Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and Syracuse. The Owls are credited with having won the first national collegiate basketball championship (in 1938) and have made 29 NCAA tournament appearances.
• Temple is one of three schools nationally to have its football team bowl-eligible and both its men’s and women’s basketball teams in the NCAA Championship in the last two years.
• Coming into this season, Temple was fifth among Bowl Subdivision programs in the last two years in combined wins by its football and men’s and women’s basketball teams. This season, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams have won at least 20 games, while the football team went 9-4 and won the New Mexico Bowl.
• The men’s basketball team won the 2012 Atlantic-10 regular-season title and is expected to make its fifth straight NCAA tournament appearance. The women’s basketball team is poised for a ninth consecutive NCAA appearance.
• Temple has made 20 NCAA Championship appearances in men’s golf.