SAAC Spotlight Video
Name: Lauren Tibbs
Institution: Marquette University
Sport: Women’s Basketball
Major: Advertising and Minoring in Graphic Design
1) What was the biggest factor when deciding to attend Marquette University?
The family atmosphere between the team and with the coaches. Marquette is a great school and had a program that I wanted to study.
2) What do you like the most about being a college student-athlete?
The fact that my schooling is paid for and we are well taken care of…food, health, and clothing.
3) Why have you chosen to represent your school as a BIG EAST SAAC Rep?
Our president couldn’t attend and I was asked to represent, I thought it would be a really cool opportunity to meet other student athletes from other schools.
4) What is your favorite volunteer (or community service) activity you have participated in?
Every year at Marquette we have an event called the Briggs & Al’s Run/Walk that raises money for the children’s hospital. About 14,000 people participate in the event and a lot of them are children from the hospital. As a team we go and play with the kids and sign autographs before the run and then cheer them on and give out high fives as they start the race. It raises over 1 million dollars every year and is a really awesome time with the kids!
5) Who is your favorite professional athlete?
Lisa Leslie or Candace Parker
6) Who is your favorite professional sports team?
I don’t watch a lot of professional sports…but I like the Reds and the Bengals because they are my hometown teams
7) What are you favorite non-sport activities/hobbies?
I love to read, some of my favorites are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Secret Garden, Peter Pan, and Harry Potter. I also like art, I draw and paint and use photoshop to create pieces of art photography.
8) What is your dream job?
I would love to have my own business…I would be a photographer and free lance graphic designer for small companies and nonprofits and then have a studio space to work on my own art as well as teach art classes for kids
9) What advice would you give a new freshman coming into college?
You are going to make mistakes, don’t freak out and don’t be too hard on yourself, you don’t have to be superman/woman. Take it day by day and focus on each thing as it happens…enjoy it because it goes by fast!